Sunday, January 25, 2009

If I could go back and change things I would....



Yes, there are things I would have changed about how we dealt with Dozer's cancer. I have regrets...hindsight is a hard thing to deal with sometimes. I could scream at myself for not being more pro-active. I know better. I tell people all the time that you can't just rely on doctors. You have to research the illness yourself. Don't just wholeheartedly believe everything a doctor tells you. I did that initially. I researched canine cancer, hemangiosarcoma and the treatment options. That's how I found the Neoplasene and decided to take that course rather than amputation and chemotherapy. But then I just let Dozer's fate lie with the doctors. I did seek a second opinion from my vet who referred us to another holistic vet for a second opinion, but I should have done more. I should have asked for follow up x-rays and ultrasounds. I was told again and again that the cancer was aggressive, but localized and that it wouldn't spread and I just focused on his leg. Actually, I was researching prosthetics that very week as I had decided on amputation after all. I didn't think he would do well on three legs, but I did think a prosthetic limb would work quite well for him. Honestly, I think he would have looked cute. He was such a beautiful boy. Anyway, I don't know if the cancer spread or if it was there and the initially scans missed it or if it was something new, but I do know that had I repeated the scan on regular intervals we would have caught it sooner and may still have him with us today. So, my advice...Be pro-active with these diseases! Research again and again. And give your dog a big squeeze and tell him/her how much you love them! I would give anything to wrap my arms around Dozer right now...

5 comments:

Cowgirl said...

Hi again. I understand what you are saying. I keep running over the last few weeks with Cowgirl and think of what I could have done differently. But it is such a brutal disease...we were helpless in the face of it...and stopping the suffering was all I wanted for her. It will always hurt.

That is a really nice picture of you and your guy

ingrid said...

I've been going through the same things. I should have noticed how she liked to jump less. I should have questioned why she put on 4 extra pounds but still looked the same.
Then I wonder where the cancer came from. Was it from food? Did she get it from licking her feet so much? Was it her genes? Did I do something wrong?

I tell myself she was a tough dog and that I should have done surgery, but in reality, she barely made it out of the minor surgeries she had in the past because she was so sensitive. And the doctors wouldn't have done it anyway.

My doctors pretty much told me from day one that she had very little time. I had 19 days after they diagnosed her. 19 days.

I've always known that no matter how many times I kissed and hugged her, it would never be enough.

That is indeed a very nice photo of you both!

Jen O said...

I just want to thank both of you from the bottom of my heart for letting me know that I'm not alone in the way that I'm feeling. Thanks. And thanks for the compliments, too.

Sparky's Mom said...

I am so sorry to hear that your boy lost his fight with cancer. I just stumbled across you blog because my boy got diagnosed with lung tumors, and I'm doing as much research as I possibly can. I am also going to try Neoplasene.

I understand how you feel and how you wish you would have done things differently. I go through this everyday. But I think we're too hard on ourselves. I think you were the perfect mom to Dozer and he was lucky (and I bet he knew) to have had so much time with you.

I hope you are feeling a little bit better by now. I can't imagine having to go through this too. Hang in there. Lotsa hugs.

Jen O said...

Mareike, Thank you for your kind words. Much love and light to your little man.